Egg-cellent Spring Kids Activity
We’re all washing our hands like crazy, so sticky, marshmallow-y hands are no problem! After School Enrichment kids in grades 3-5 enjoyed creating their own Spring-y, Easter-y birds nests. Because this is a messy project, I didn’t take many photos of my students’ nests; credit must be given to D Magazine’s Jessica Jones for some of the project photos.
The process is the same as making Rice Krispies Treats, only with the chow mein noodles subbing in for cereal. The measurements quoted here yield about 12 cupcake-sized nests, or one really huge nest that would be about the right size for a real bunny, if bunnies sat in nests.
EDIBLE NESTS RECIPE (yields about 12 cupcake-sized nests)
•1/4 cup butter
•3 cups marshmallows
•5 cups chow mein noodles (Rice Krispies could be used, too.)
•Candy to fill nests
1. Melt butter and marshmallows together over medium-low heat. Remove from heat.
2. Add chow mein noodles, and mix til combined.
3. Spray a cupcake tin with cooking spray, as well as your fingers. Mold the mixture into nest shapes in the cupcake tin.
4. Place in freezer for at least an hour. Remove nests using a knife.
5. Fill with your choice of candy.