DIY Hostess gift idea: Bring dessert on a dish the hostess can keep. These funky melamine dishes are from SEED387. Wrap cookies in cellophane for a pretty presentation.
Need a patriotic-themed kid activity? Or are you in the mood to bake? Either way, enjoy this re-post.
Hon, you know what I like about a holiday besides spending time with family and friends?
The built-in theme!
One of my daughters and I had fun taking the American flag colors to the extreme. We baked red, white and blue sugar cookies and cupcakes. Click here for sugar cookie and Royal Icing recipes. My daughter decorated with flags while I tried my hand at tie dye effects. I used a toothpick to “drag” two or three icing colors from the center out, then swirled with the toothpick to create a tie dye look.
Tie Dye effect.
Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing.
Coloring on cookies.
Baking Day continued with red, white and blue cupcakes.
We were inspired by Ziploc Bag’s Patriotic Piped Tri-Colored Cupcakes, but they turned out to be more challenging than they looked. So, we abandoned our pastry bags and spooned the colored batter into baking cups. The result? Still patriotic, fun and delicious.
*Tip: Wear plastic gloves because colored batter is messy and stains.
1. Start with boxed cake mix. Separate batter into three bowls.
2. Add red food coloring to one bowl of batter and blue to another, leaving the third bowl plain.
3. Spoon batter into three pastry bags (or Ziploc bags) OR skip this step and spoon colored batter into baking cups one at a time in colored stripes.
4. Seal pastry bags or Ziploc bags OR skip this step if not using bags.
5. Tape bags together so batter can be piped at once OR skip this step.
Tri-colored cupcakes after baking.
6. Frost and decorate cupcakes. We used store-bought icing.
American Flag Fun!