I’d been using the same Non-Dairy Noodle Kugel recipe for years (see “Related Post” below), but found a version on Leah Cooks Kosher that sounded like an improvement on one of my family’s favorite dishes. I adapted that recipe and guess what? This easy, sweet side dish is tastier and fluffier. Plus, it got several thumbs up from my family!
Happy cooking, hon!
Sweet Noodle Kugel (non-dairy)
- 1 pound medium wide egg noodles
- 1/4 cup canola oil or margarine
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- salt to taste
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced small (optional)
1/2 cup golden raisins (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Boil pasta, then rinse in cold water and drain. Set aside.
- Mix eggs, oil, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add the apples and raisins. Mix well to blend.
- Add the cooked pasta to the egg mixture. Toss well to coat. Grease a 9″ x 13″ baking dish well. Pour the kugel mixture into baking dish and spread so it’s even. Spray a piece of foil with oil and cover the kugel loosely.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the kugel is set and is lightly browned, about another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for a few minutes. Cut and serve warm or at room temperature.
Yield: 9″ x 12″ pan, 16 – 20 servings
Related Post: Noodle Kugel (non-dairy)
Source: Leah Cooks Kosher