Ready for Thanksgiving!
My apple pies are done and one of them is gluten free, so I’m re-posting the recipe and how-to video.
Unlike regular dough which comes together in a food processor, Michael McCamley’s recipe for gluten free dough in Gluten Free Baking is worked by hand. The dough is sticky and a bit messy, but the end result is delicious. I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Flour for the pie, and have used rice flour for gluten free cookies and gluten free pancakes.
Guess what I did? I labeled the pie using my ceramics letters. Fun!
Happy Thanksgiving, Hon!
Gluten Free Pastry Dough
- 3 2/3 cups gluten free flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup) plus extra for greasing (I used Crisco vegetable shortening.)
- 1 egg, plus extra for glazing
- 1/2 cup milk (I used almond milk)
- To make pastry dough, combine the flour, xanthan gum, and confectioner’s sugar in a large bowl. Rub in butter (or vegetable shortening) with your fingertips until mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Add the egg and milk (or almond milk) and combine to make dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- After dough has chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a gluten free-floured surface, divide dough in two. Roll each piece out to form a large circle*–one to line pie plate and one to become top of pie.
- Line pie plate with one of the pasty circles and spoon in the apple filling. (See Apple Pie filling below.)
- Mix together a little milk (or almond milk) and egg and brush rim of pastry with this. Add second pastry circle as a lid and, using a fork, crimp edges of dough all the way around. Pierce pie in the middle a couple of times to let out steam during baking. If you make a basket weave top, no need to pierce dough.
- Brush top of the pie with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden.
Apple Pie Filling
- 6 cups apple slices (I use a combination of Granny Smith and other varieties)
- 3/4 cup sugar (I cut the sugar to about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- approximately 1 Tablespoon gluten free flour
- dash salt
- 1 egg, beaten (used to brush on top of crust before baking)
- Combine apples, sugar, lemon juice, spices and salt. This mixture will give off a lot of liquid so use a slotted spoon when spooning into pie crust, allowing you to spoon the apple mixture without the excess liquid.
*I rolled out the dough by a)pressing dough ball down to flatten it, b)sandwiching dough between two pieces of wax paper, then c)rolling the rolling pin on top of the wax paper. (Demo can be seen in the video.) If the dough sticks to the wax paper, you can spray the wax paper with non-stick spray.
**You can make this pie ahead and freeze it. Let pie cool completely before wrapping in saran wrap and aluminum foil. A couple of days before serving, defrost at room temperature.
Serve warm–after removing from oven, let cool about 20 minutes.
Serve room temperature–cool completely.
Rewarm defrosted pie– warm in a preheated 250- 275 degrees F oven, uncovered, until desired temperature.