The Secret Ingredient is a Superfood!
I love cheese lasagna and so do my kids. I love spinach and so–wait!–DON’T my kids. But my two picky eaters need more veggies! This recipe is so cheesy and saucy that the spinach is practically hidden. Guess what? My picky eaters loved it!
Spinach Cheese Lasagna
–1 pound lasagna noodles
–1 pound chopped, cooked spinach, drained thoroughly to prevent lasagna from becoming too soupy. (I used frozen spinach but will try steaming and draining fresh spinach next time.)
–15 ounces ricotta cheese
–salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
–1 (28 ounce) jar tomato sauce
–1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese
–1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, optional
–dried basil, oregano, and parsley to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a 9″ x 13″ metal or glass baking pan by spraying with non-stick spray or brushing with olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Cook lasagna noodles as per directions. Drain and set aside.
- Place ricotta cheese in a large bowl and add egg, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix in chopped spinach.
- Spread a light layer of sauce on bottom of baking pan. Lay out noodles to cover bottom of dish. I overlapped 4 noodles but next time will do the math and will overlap 5 or 6 noodles in each layer. (# total noodles divided by # layers = how many noodles to overlap in each layer.)
- Layer like this:
Spread light layer of sauce over noodles.
Spread ricotta/spinach mixture over sauce.
Sprinkle shredded mozzarella (and parmesan cheese) over ricotta/spinach mixture. Sprinkle, basil, oregano and parsley on top.
Repeat until dish is almost full.
- Top layer should be noodles, sauce and shredded mozzarella. Sprinkle with spices to taste.
- Loosely cover with foil. Tip: spray side of foil touching cheese with non-stick spray.
- Bake approximately 40 minutes. Uncover and cook another 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is browned and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into and serving.
Yield: Approximately 10-12 servings.
Tip: Lasagna freezes well. I made two whole lasagnas: one for now and one to freeze.