In addition to Vegetarian Chili, Red Lentil and Barley Soup was ready and waiting for company the day after Thanksgiving. It was tame to chili’s spice. I made it ahead to time, froze it, defrosted it at room temperature a day early, and simmered it on a low flame for a few hours. I also froze individual servings to have at a later date. Think snowed in!
Happy cooking, hon.
Red Lentil and Barley Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 4 garlic, gloves crushed
- 6 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup red lentil, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup barley, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook 1 hour.
- Remove and discard bay leaves before serving.
Tip: Add dashes of other spices, such as sage, rosemary, turmeric, etc, as desired.
Cooking Time: 1 hour 25 minutes.