Valentines Sugar Cookies
Sugar cookie recipe + royal icing = the perfect Valentine’s Day cookies! Happy baking, hon.
(Tip–This recipe makes a large amount of cookie dough. You can make all of it or use half and freeze half.*)
- 6 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add dry ingredients to butter/ sugar mixture in increments until the flour mixture is completely incorporated.
- Chill mixture in fridge for about one hour then let sit on counter while you prepare the surface you are using to roll out the dough.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll dough to desired thickness and cut into shapes. Bake cookies on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper but you may bake them directly on your ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges turn slightly brown.
Yield: Whole recipe makes approximately 4 dozen cookies, depending on cookie cutter size.
- 3 3/4 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 Tablespoons of meringue or dried egg white powder (I used the brand Deb El and a product called Just Whites.)
- 6 Tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, optional (note: adding vanilla adds flavor but tints the color of the icing)
- food coloring, optional
- sprinkles, decorating sugar
- Beat all ingredients 4 to 5 minutes by hand.
- Stir in optional flavorings.
- Tip: Cut icing in half, keeping one half white and adding a couple drops of food coloring to the other half. Thin icing, if needed with extra Tablespoons warm water. Decorate as desired.
- Let icing dry.
*After I defrosted the second half of the dough, I had to knead it a few minutes before I could work with it.