It’s that time of year!
Graduation is less than a week away and there’s so much to do and so little time! One of my daughters suggested that I not bake cap and diploma cookies but, hon, how could I throw a graduation party and ignore those cookie cutters?! They were calling my name!
These sugar cookies can be baked ahead of time, frozen, then defrosted and decorated or the decorated cookies can be frozen. Tip: Store decorated cookies, with wax paper in between the layers, in a airtight container.
Happy baking, hon!
Basic Sugar Cookie Recipe
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened (I used margarine to make recipe non-dairy)
1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
2-3 teaspoons flavoring such as vanilla or almond
2 1/2 – 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cream together softened butter and confectioner’s sugar.
- Crack egg into a separate bowl and add flavoring. Add to the butter/sugar mixture and mix until egg is thoroughly incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt, then add the dry mixture, little by little, to the butter/sugar mixture. (Tip-a paddle attachment works well. Dough will by sticky.)
- If the dough is too sticky, refrigerate until it stiffens.
- Roll out on parchment paper to about 1/4 inch thick, using flour for dusting as necessary. Cut and bake for 7 – 8 minutes.
Yield: 2 – 2 1/2 dozen cookies. The recipe doubled will yield approximately 4 -5 dozen.
Notes: Baking times are approximate so watch the cookies. If they are browning, they’ve been in a little too long.
Royal Icing Recipe
3 3/4 cups confectioners sugar
3 Tablespoons of meringue or dried egg white powder
6 Tablespoons warm water
Beat about 4 minutes by hand. Thin icing, if needed with extra tablespoons of warm water.
Add color in small amounts. (Tip–it’s easier to darken a color than lighten it.)
Related posts: DIY Graduation Party (Party Prep Step-by-Step), American Flag-Inspired Cupcakes and Cookies, Melted Snowman Cookies, Cookie Crazy, DIY Party Favors, Character Driven Gingerbread Cookies