Snow Day Activity
I’m re-posting this Easy DIY Winter Kids Craft because it’s quick and creative. Though my K-2 After School Enrichment students enjoyed making their own Felt Mitten Bookmarks, pre-schoolers can also assemble them (Supplies for my Two’s are portioned out in our “Virtual Learning Bin.”) Don’t have suggested supplies? Use what you have. Set up a workstation, fill bowls with decorations, and invite kids to assemble, glue and decorate. Fun and done!
Felt Mitten Bookmarks
- felt (or a thick fabric), small pieces will do
- fabric glue
- grosgrain ribbon (or satin ribbon), about 14 inches per bookmark
- tiny pom-poms
- small googly eyes
- any other things to use for decorating such as glitter glue, thin ribbon, foam shapes, sparkly stars
- craft stick (or cotton swabs)
- newspaper, wax paper, tin foil, or cloth (whatever you don’t mind getting glue-y)
- Set up craft area with newspaper, wax paper, etc.
- What size book is the bookmark being made for? A picture book? A chapter book? Measure the book, then add 6 inches to that measurement, which will allow ribbon to stick out of the top and bottom of the book and to be sandwiched between the felt. For example, if a book measures 8 inches, I’d add 6 inches and cut a 14 inch piece of ribbon
- Draw mittens on the felt. Cut 4 mittens out of the felt, making sure they are the same shape so that when they’re glued together, they match up.
- Match up the felt mittens, figuring out which will be the fronts and which will be backs. Using craft sticks (or cotton swabs), spread fabric glue on the insides of the mitten. Sandwich 1 inch of the ribbon between the fronts and backs. Press to help glue adhere.
- Decorate mittens, either one side of each mitten or both, there’s no right or wrong.Let dry.
Tips: Trim excess felt. Check seams for gaps and, using craft stick (or cotton swab), add extra fabric glue where needed.