Guess what hon? Twinkl, an online educational resource for teachers and individuals, reached out and asked to include one of my DIY Kids Crafts on their site! “This children’s craft idea features in Twinkl’s Absolutely Amazing Autumn Ideas.”
This Autumn Kids Craft: DIY Fall Wreath is evergreen, so I’m re-posting this kids activity from the time I taught “Creative Minds,” an After School Enrichment class at Wyoming Elementary School in Millburn, NJ. The 3rd to 5th graders wrapped burlap around wreath forms, hot glued ends, chose leaves, berries, and fruit, and secured them with coiled wire. They tied ribbon as flourishes and added twine for hanging. Fun!
Here’s what you need and how to make your own.
DIY Fall Wreath Supplies
- Wreath Form, whatever size you want
- Burlap, amount depends on size of wreath form
- Coiled Wire, used to secure floral spray before gluing
- Wire Cutters, we used two sizes, one to trim floral sprays and one to trim coiled wire
- Hot Glue Gun and extra glue sticks for glue gun
- Floral Decorations, such as floral sprays (leaves with berries and fruit), colored beads and leaves
- Twine, knotted and looped for hanging
- Before cutting burlap from roll, loosely wrap around wreath form to check how much is needed. Allow extra to tuck end under. Cut burlap from roll.
- Wrap burlap around wreath form. Tuck end under and hot glue. This will be the back of the wreath.
- Decide how to arrange decorations. Some may have bendable stems. If so ,wrap around wreath form.
- If floral sprays, berries or other decor have long, unbendable stems, cut off with large wire cutter.
- Using coiled wire, secure smaller decor such as leaves and berries to wreath form. Secure to wreath form by criss-crossing wire until decor is secured. Twist wire in back and tuck ends under.
- Secure floral spray with wire and hot glue. Hot glue leaves so they cover wire and lay flat.
- Hot glue colored beads and individual leaves.
- Tie ribbon and glue if needed.
- Find top of the wreath. Create a hanging loop with twine.