Lucy is my Inspiration Puppy.
Lucy is my chapter book’s muse. She and my main character both have silky fur, flappy ears, round, brown eyes and a fluffy tail. My muse shows me how a dog behaves, and my uncanny ability to translate WOOF adds to my main character’s authenticity. Writers are advised to “write what you know,” and I know Lucy. You know?
Top Ten Reasons Why Lucy Is My Inspiration Puppy
(with commentary from Lucy)
Lucy is not just a dog, she’s also a:
1. LEG BONKER. Lucy gets attention is by bonking her wet, black nose into legs. Again and again. “What do you want, Lucy?”
Lucy asks, “Do I have your attention now?”
2. VACUUM CLEANER. Lucy finds the messiest eater and places herself under his/her chair. If it falls on the floor, it’s hers.
Lucy says, “I’ll eat whatever YOU are eating!”
3. FOOT WARMER. This canine is hot, and I don’t mean that in an inappropriate way. Got cold toes? Get a dog!
Lucy says, “Feet schmeet. It’s still petting.”
4. POOCH PILLOW. Need a cuddle or a cry? Tired? Bury your head in a Pooch Pillow and you’ll feel better immediately.
Lucy says, “I’m an affectionate girl.”
5. SMARTYPANTS. Maybe its the Border Collie in her or maybe I’m just bragging, but that dog knows a lot of words.
Lucy says, “First of all, I don’t wear pants and, second of all, of course I’m smart. I watch your every move.”
6. SECURITY GUARD. Lucy announces strange cars parked in front of our house (or anywhere up and down the street), men walking up the driveway, and delivery trucks–especially the mail truck–by barking her head off, ripping up up her doggie bed, jumping on the front door, growling like a psycho doggie and bolting down the yard at 30 mph.
Lucy says, “Don’t complain. I’m just doing my job!”
7. TENNIS BALL CATCHER. Lucy LOVES tennis balls so much, she could play ball all day. I throw it and she catches it mid-air. When I toss the ball up a hill and say, “Roll it,” Lucy nudges it with her nose so it rolls back down to me. See? Smartypants!
Lucy says, “Tennis balls are chewy, bouncy and roll-y. And you’re playing with me. What’s not to love?”
8. LOVER GIRL. Pet Lucy and she reaches out to touch you back. Want to be greeted in the morning? Get ready for lots of licks. Trying to leave the house? Have work to do? Too bad. Lucy the Lover Girl will flop on her back and beg for a belly scratch. She’s very distracting!
Lucy says, “I give what I get.”
9. HYPNOTIST. Seriously! She hypnotizes us with her eyes. She stares into our souls. I read that Border Collies hypnotize their flocks of sheep or cows with their eyes, and we think Lucy’s part Border Collie. I dare you to look away when she stares at you.
Lucy says, “What’s a soul?”
10. COMEDIAN. True, I DON’T laugh when Lucy rolls in…shall I…say disgusting things? But, most of the time she’s a comedian. Like when we put her outside to get some “fresh air” (see #6) and she stares at us through glass doors. Or when she rests her head our laps during dinner. Reaching for a napkin, instead you find a Lucy’s head on your lap and she’s begging for people food with her hypnotizing eyes.
Lucy says, “Glad you find my begging amusing.”
Hon, do you have a pet? How does he or she inspire you?