Wedding decor handcrafted by the bride.
I went to California for the weekend. Hubby and I were guests at our dear friends’ son’s wedding. It was outdoors. It was beautiful. I danced my dessert off.
Before this trip, I had only been to Los Angeles and San Francisco. The wedding was in San Luis Obispo, which is about halfway between LA and SF. We drove up the coast to Carmel-by-the-Sea. Hon, I’m already (California) dreaming of a trip back to the West Coast.
Here are the Top Ten Coolest Things I saw In California this weekend.
Driving up the coast with mountains on one side and the Pacific Ocean on the other.
The tiny line carved out of the mountain is the road we drove on. Yikes!
1. I’m combining these two photos to make up #1. Driving on the edge of mountains–cliffs, really–is a bit harrowing, but pretty cool. Hubby rented a convertible (picture me in an Audrey Hepburn-style scarf) so guess what I did? Turned around and took pics of the views behind us!
Cows, cows and more cows.
2. Everywhere we drove, cattle were grazing. Cows with calves and steer with horns were wandering over hills, sitting in the shade, and chewing their cud. Moo!
Aoudads on San Simeon
3. These Aoudads, a kind of Barbary sheep, were hanging out on the road to the Hearst Castle. Apparently, William Hearst had a large menagerie back in the day. At one point, he owned 250,000 acres of land and brought all kinds of animals to his ranch.
Woman and cockatiel.
4. Many marble statues adorn the Hearst Castle. I really liked this one.
Tuscany or California?
5. The countryside is dotted with wineries. Vineyards carpet the hills and Mediterranean architecture adds European flavor. Salute!
West Coast succelents.
6. Hon, you know how I love texture and color? This garden has both. I love the contrast between the colors and the grey rocks. I have no idea what these plants are called, so if you do, would you please let me know and I’ll add the info?
Roman Pool at the Hearst Castle.
7. This indoor pool is enchanting. Maybe it was the millions of tiny blue mosaics or the lighting or the smaller pool room, but standing at water’s edge I felt a romance or drama or mystery coming on.
Hummingbird in flight.
8. I can’t believe I got this photo. Have you ever tried to photograph a hummingbird? Enough said!
9. What could be cooler than watching young, male Elephant Seals swim, snooze, spar, snort and scratch? I guess they get itchy, too!
10. Energy! Powerful! Superhero! Wow!