This perfect-for-summer Three Berry Crisp is yummy by itself, served with ice cream, or topped with whipped cream. There’s plenty of berry juice at the bottom to drizzle on waffles, brownies or anything else you want to dress up with some red and blue sweetness. Found on Oukosher.org by Eileen Goltz, this Three Berry Crisp is gluten-free, nut-free if walnuts are eliminated, and vegan and parve when margarine is used. The recipe is missing one thing–a note that spoons are required for serving and eating–lol!
Happy baking, hon!
Three Berry Crisp
- 3 cups raspberries
- 1½ cups blackberries
- 2 cups blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1¾ cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup granulated sugar (I cut to approx. 1/4 cup.)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup coarsely-chopped walnuts (Or substitute with plain oatmeal to make nut-free.)
- ⅔ cup unsalted butter or margarine, melted and cooled
- Optional: dashes of ground cloves and cardamom
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly butter a 7×11-inch baking dish and set aside. (I used two deep pie dishes.)
To Prepare the Filling:
2. Lightly rinse the berries and drain on a paper towel-lined half sheet pan. Gently pat dry and then place in a large bowl. Add the sugar and cornstarch and toss them gently with the berries. Add the lemon juice and toss gently. Transfer the filling to the prepared dish.
To Prepare the Topping:
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, sugars, cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl and mix to combine. Add the nuts. Pour in the butter and toss with a fork to form crumbs.
4. Take a clump of the crumb mixture and squeeze gently to form a larger clump. Break the larger clump apart over the fruit. Repeat, using all of the crumb mixture. (Optional: Sprinkle cinnamon on top of crumb mixture before baking.)
5. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the crumbs begin to brown and the fruit juices are bubbling.
6. Serve warm with ice cream or sweetened whipped cream.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Tip: Make ahead. Warm before serving in a 300 degrees F oven for approx. 10 -15 minutes.
Note: Berry Crisps are prone to leaking. If transporting, wrap in foil from bottom up and carry in leak-proof bag or dessert carrier.