Thanksgiving is around the corner and that means recipes, recipes, recipes! My Sweet Potatoes With Marshmallows casserole is a family favorite, and the actual index card with the recipe is special to me because it was written by my Grandmother Ruth. It’s stained and yellowing and I keep it in a sandwich bag but, come to think of it, I should laminate it! For Thanksgiving, we prepare no less than three Sweet Potato With Marshmallow casseroles and, at the end of dinner and divvying “some to take home,” there might be about three quarters of one baking dish left over!
Happy holidays, hon!
Sweet Potato Casserole
- 2 lb can sweet potatoes (light or no syrup preferred), drained
- 1 (8 or 15 oz) can crushed pineapple, drained (either size works, depending on desired sweetness)
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (can lower sugar quantities if desired)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 bag mini marshmallows (can use less or more of bag as desired)
- nonstick spray or margarine or butter for greasing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 9 x 11 glass baking with non-stick spray, margarine or butter.
- With hand mixer, beat potatoes well. Add crushed pineapple to potatoes and mix.
- Separate egg and beat egg white until stiff. Set aside.
- Add yolk to potatoes/pineapple mixture and beat.
- Add brown and granulated sugars to mixture and beat.
- Fold egg whites into mixture.
- Pour mixture into greased baking dish. Dot the top with about half of the mini marshmallows.
- Bake for approx, 25 minutes and then dot the remaining marshmallows on top. Bake for about 15 more minutes. Remove from oven when marshmallows are lightly browned. Tip: Pay attention to marshmallows. They will puff in oven before settling. Add second half of marshmallows when first half is only slightly browned.)
- Total bake time is approx. 40 minutes.
Prep Tip: A day or two before the holiday, prepare casserole (steps 2-7) but do not top with marshmallows, and refrigerate. On Thanksgiving, remove prepared dish from fridge about an hour before baking. Bake following instructions to dot casserole with half of the marshmallows, bake partway, add remaining marshmallows, and finish baking.