One of the dinners my son cooked during quarantine was a sheet-pan dish. His roasted chicken and veggie rainbow was as colorful as it was delicious! Shortly after that, I read Kay Chun’s Sheet-Pan Chicken With Scallions and Capers recipe for The New York Times and one more meal was planned. The verdict? Make it again, please!
Describing the dish, Chun says,
This one-pan chicken dinner requires only five ingredients, making it perfect for busy weeknights. Meaty chicken thighs roast on top of scallions and potatoes until the chicken is golden and juicy and the scallions are tender and sweet. Despite the short ingredient list, this dish delivers deep flavor and varying textures: The potatoes on the bottom soak up the tasty pan juices while the ones on top turn crispy. Any extra pan drippings get mixed with capers and lemon juice for a quick, tangy sauce. You could also use some of the sauce to dress a simple side salad.
Sheet-Pan Chicken With Scallions and Capers
- 12 scallions, trimmed (about 1 pound)
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes (about 3 large), sliced 1/8-inch-thick (about 4 cups)
- 8 large bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus 4 lemon wedges for serving (optional)
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Place scallions in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, season potatoes with salt and pepper and toss with 2 tablespoons oil. Spread half of potatoes in a single layer over scallions.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and place on top of the potatoes. Arrange remaining potatoes around chicken. Roast until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender and golden, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Transfer chicken, potatoes and scallions to serving plates. Scrape remaining pan juices and drippings into a small bowl, stir in capers and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Spoon over chicken and serve with lemon wedges, if using.
Yield: 4 servings