I went to California for the weekend. Hubby and I were guests at our dear friends’ son’s wedding. It was outdoors. It was beautiful. I danced my dessert off.
Before this trip, I had only been to Los Angeles and San Francisco. The wedding was in San Luis Obispo, which is about halfway between LA and SF. We drove up the coast to Carmel-by-the-Sea. Hon, I’m already (California) dreaming of a trip back to the West Coast.
Here are the Top Ten Coolest Things I saw In California this weekend.
1. I’m combining these two photos to make up #1. Driving on the edge of mountains–cliffs, really–is a bit harrowing, but pretty cool. Hubby rented a convertible (picture me in an Audrey Hepburn-style scarf) so guess what I did? Turned around and took pics of the views behind us!
2. Everywhere we drove, cattle were grazing. Cows with calves and steer with horns were wandering over hills, sitting in the shade, and chewing their cud. Moo!
3. These Aoudads, a kind of Barbary sheep, were hanging out on the road to the Hearst Castle. Apparently, William Hearst had a large menagerie back in the day. At one point, he owned 250,000 acres of land and brought all kinds of animals to his ranch.
4. Many marble statues adorn the Hearst Castle. I really liked this one.
5. The countryside is dotted with wineries. Vineyards carpet the hills and Mediterranean architecture adds European flavor. Salute!
6. Hon, you know how I love texture and color? This garden has both. I love the contrast between the colors and the grey rocks. I have no idea what these plants are called, so if you do, would you please let me know and I’ll add the info?
7. This indoor pool is enchanting. Maybe it was the millions of tiny blue mosaics or the lighting or the smaller pool room, but standing at water’s edge I felt a romance or drama or mystery coming on.
8. I can’t believe I got this photo. Have you ever tried to photograph a hummingbird? Enough said!
9. What could be cooler than watching young, male Elephant Seals swim, snooze, spar, snort and scratch? I guess they get itchy, too!
10. Energy! Powerful! Superhero! Wow!
6 thoughts on “The Top Ten Coolest Things I Saw In California”
Love these pics! Love this area. We were in Carmel by the Sea, Pacific Grove and Monterey Bay the first of October, when were you there??
Too bad we weren’t there at the same time. I have to go back–it’s gorgeous.
Found you at Michael Lai’s blog and followed you home. A great picture story. Have never visited California, but have often been to Italy, and you are right, some of your photos definitely have an Italian feel. A lovely insight into Californian life.
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I really appreciate it.
So very cool.