We recently had dinner at Chez Oskar in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. I ordered fluke baked with rice and veggies in parchment paper. The dish was so delicious, I tried to replicate it at home. Hon, this is a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants recipe, which means there aren’t exact measurements. The good news: you don’t need exact quantities to make this healthy Delicious Fish Dish.
Delicious Fish Dish
Fish Fillet–I used a little under 2 pounds of cod in the dish above. I might try this with tilapia and sea bass, but I’m not sure about flounder or sole which are much thinner.
Rice and Veggies–Cooked rice and steamed or sauteed vegetables. (any rice and whatever veggies you think will go with the fish)
Spices–salt, pepper, ground Sage, Herbs de Provence, parsley or spices you like.
Lemon Juice, Butter and White Wine–I didn’t use white wine in the dish above, but next time I will.
Parchment Paper–enough to wrap fish in
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F. (Start at 400 degrees if fish is thick, like cod, tilapia or sea bass, lowering to 350 after about 15 minutes. If fish is thin, bake at 350 degrees F the whole time.)
1. Pre-cook rice, and steam or saute vegetables.
2. Wash fish fillet and pat dry.
3. Line a glass baking pan with parchment paper, making sure the piece you use is big enough to fold over the fish.
4. Spread rice and veggies on top of parchment paper, sprinkling with desired spices.
5. Lay fish over rice and veggies. Sprinkle remaining spices, small scoops of butter (about 1-2 teaspoons a scoop), a few capfuls of lemon juice, and white wine (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup) on top of fish.
6. Fold parchment paper up and over fish lengthwise, then fold ends.
7. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes. Lower oven to 350 degrees F and bake for about another 20 to 25 minutes. Check fish for done-ness and bake longer if necessary.
8. When done baking, open parchment paper carefully to let steam escape. Fish will be very hot. Serve directly from parchment paper.
Note: I started cod at 400 degrees because it’s thick. If you use a thinner fish, then I recommend baking it at 350 degrees F the whole time.)
Here’s how I make quick and easy Tartar Sauce:
Combine approximately 4 Tablespoons of mayonnaise with 2-3 Tablespoons relish, Sprinkle paprika. Mix and serve. (Yield–about 2)