Happy One Year Anniversary to our adorable, sock-eating, shoe-stealing Border Collie/ Black Lab mutt (uh, I mean “mixed breed”) who joined our family last November! She’s our very own brown-eyed, soulful sweetheart. Sure she’s a lot of work, but she shows us how to enjoy the simple things like a belly rub and a nap. She makes us laugh with her games of “Rip Around the Dining Room Table”, “Hide the Ball Under the Couch” and “Watch Mommy Fetch The Ball.”
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (Diamonds for her white markings/ Lucy for short) wouldn’t have joined our household if it weren’t for Daughter Number Three’s Girl Scout troop volunteering at a shelter. I tagged along with the troop and was smitten by the puppies.
Allergic hubby and two allergic teens officially “allergy tested” a bunch of pups (they rubbed different sections of their arms on different dogs until, lo and behold, one dog didn’t require an immediate dose of Benadryl to halt hives).
Hon, I was always a “cat-person.” Truth-be-told, I still am. But now I’m a dog lover, too.
Top ten reasons why I love Lucy:
1. She’s my running partner.
2. A furry dog makes a great personal foot warmer.
3. To her, every day is a great day.
4. She accepts herself for who she is.
5. She looks at the world like a toddler; everything’s new and interesting.
6. I don’t have to fix the broken doorbell. Lucy announces all visitors.
7. She still believes she will be friends with our 13-year old cat.
8. I have a reason to imitate Ricky Ricardo on a daily basis. (“Lucy, you have some esplainin’ to do!”)
10. Daughter Number Three, who was terrified of dogs for the first 10 years of her life has been transformed! She said, “Mom, I never realized dogs had personalities. I was just afraid because they were dogs.”